3 pkg. Earth Exotics™ Okra
1 to 2 c. Plain White Cornmeal
1/3 to 1/2 c. Solid Vegetable Shortening
Salt to taste
- Placed un-cut Okra Pods in a bowl of cold water.
- Place 1 to 2 cups Plain White Cornmeal (not self rising) in a plastic bag.
- Drain and discard tip and stem end of Okra Pod.
- Slice into ¼ inch slices directly into the Cornmeal.
- Shake bag often to coat each piece well.
- Depending on the amount of Okra you are preparing, start 1/3 to ½ cup shortening to melt in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- When all the Okra is well coated with Cornmeal, place in a sieve and shake gently to remove excel Cornmeal.
- Test the pan for correct heat by placing 1 slice of Okra in the hot shortening. If it sizzles, the pan is hot enough.
- Place the remaining Okra into the skillet. Cover the skillet. Allow the Okra to fry 3 to 5 minutes.
- Uncover and turn gently. Cover and continue to fry, checking and turning as needed until Okra is quite Brown and very crisp.
- Salt to taste.
- Place 2 or 3 crumpled paper towels in a serving bowl.
- Remove Okra to towels and allow to drain well.